worldsteel hosts stakeholders to support light steel framing in buildings
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) organized a forum bringing together its steel producing members, cold-forming customers and plasterboard suppliers to explore ways the steel industry could join forces in the support of light gauge steel framing (LGSF) in buildings.
The discussion initially focused on the advantages of LGSF in buildings and the importance of labour costs which are a major factor behind its use in countries with higher labour costs. The use of LGSF in seismic zones was also seen to be important due to its relatively light weight.
The group then debated measures needed to promote the use of LGSF in buildings. It was argued that the client, in some cases, does not request a particular material when purchasing a building, but the complete building - which is composed of many different materials.
Against the above, the group agreed to undertake a benchmark study taking residential and hotel buildings as examples to understand the performance characteristics of materials used. Available case studies will be used as a way of exploring the practical design solutions and to carry out cost and construction programme of LGSF vis a vis other materials.
The benchmark study would help identify the advantages of steel and other materials in buildings which would be useful in developing standard solutions that are fully costed and readily delivered by a number of suppliers.
Participants in first meeting:
- Sami Eronen – President and CEO, Ruukki Construction
- Pekka Roivio – Vice President R&D, Ruukki Construction
- Matt Mckay – Strategy & Marketing Director, Etex Building Performance
- Alexander Kozlov – Severstal
- Karolina Kalaga – Severstal Distribution
- Prof. Mark Lawson – Steel Construction Institute/University of Surrey
- Ben Towe – Group Deputy Managing Director, Hadley Group
- Dr. Joseph Seungmin La – POSCO Europe Office / General Manager
- Prof. Olivier Vassart – Head of ArcelorMittal Global R&D Long Carbon
- Robert Clarke – Head Business Development, Fusion Building Systems
- Jonathan Cherry – Global Marketing Manager, Plasterboard & Drywall Systems, Saint Gobain
- Oliver Rogan – Managing Director, Metek UK Ltd
- Dr. Edwin Basson – Director General, worldsteel
- Terrence Busuttil – Head, Construction Coalitions, worldsteel