The World Steel Association (worldsteel) met with key industry groups at ArcelorMittal Paris to discuss improving the efficiency and effectiveness of how steel construction is promoted in Europe.
In attendance were:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel)
- ArcelorMittal Long Carbon Europe (LCE)
- Various European Independent Promotion Organisations (IPOs)
- The European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS)
All parties agreed that collective efforts must be increased on three fronts:
- To increase data collection capabilities at national level, allowing the assessment of trends in materials used in buildings.
- To increase synergies across countries, particularly the sharing of resources and best practices.
- Finally, to increase engagement with universities, architects and structural engineers.
Since then, worldsteel has actively worked on these themes, undertaking detailed analysis and commissioning a programme to increase steel construction statistics capabilities in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
We have also encouraged the sharing of best practices between willing national construction bodies in Europe.
On the education front, we have begun efforts to engage with universities, architects and structural engineers through a project focused on translating education materials to be used throughout Europe.